Monday, August 17, 2009

All donations accounted for

The Star News Monday August 17, 2009

KUALA LUMPUR: Wanita MCA chief Datin Paduka Chew Mei Fun said Datuk Seri Tiong King Sing had donated to some fund-raising activities which she had organised, but they had all been accounted for.

She said the Kuala Dimensi Sdn Bhd CEO donated RM5,000 about 10 years ago to a lantern festival project that was jointly organised by Sin Chew Daily at Taman Jaya in Petaling Jaya. The event was later recorded by the Malaysia Book of Records as the biggest lantern festival tea party.

He had also given RM30,000 to the Selangor and Federal Territory Senior Citizens Associa-tion building fund in 2007, she added.

Chew was the chairman of a fund-raising team for the building soon after she was appointed the Women, Family and Community Development Ministry’s parliamentary secretary. “The association had issued a tax exemption receipt to him and the Finance Ministry also gave RM500,000 for the building fund the same year.

“I have done nothing wrong because there were receipts for all these donations.”

Chew was commenting on Tiong’s allegations that he had “donated” some funds to her.

Chew, who is Deputy Women, Family and Community Development Minister, said Tiong could have been angry over her statement that his smear tactics against the MCA and president Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat had tarnished the image of the party and Ong.

“He wanted to remind me of the donations he had made to me,” she added.

Yesterday, a Chinese newspaper quoted Tiong as saying the amount of money he “donated” was not important.

“I did not ask Chew to give me receipts or report to me. However, I hope that she will not attack me before she understood the arguments I have with Ong,” he said.

No comments: