Thursday, April 8, 2010

Resignation Statement of Chew Mei Fun

On 16 Nov 2009, when I was interviewed by the media in Parliament, I gave a statement saying that “I would resign if Chua Soi Lek becomes the President”. Many people assumed that I had not given much thought to it and uttered it just out of anger. In fact, since the Oct 10 EGM, I have given a lot of thought on this matter before I made such a statement. The statement was driven by my strong conviction in preserving party democracy, safeguarding the image and reputation of the party and to defend the rights and interests of women:

Because we cannot, should not allow the principle of gender equality and respect for women’s rights, which the party and its women’s wing have long been advocating, to be compromised in any way.

Because for a political party, respecting and upholding the spirit of democracy, putting into practice democratic structures and systems, promoting and realising a healthy political culture are the most fundamental requirement to gain people’s respect and support, and it is the people’s respect and support which is the most crucial factor in ensuring a party’s survival.

As Wanita MCA National Chairman, it is my duty and responsibility to uphold gender equality and respect for women’s rights. As the current status of the party adversely affects these core beliefs and mission, and if we were to turn a blind eye, the public in particular women will be greatly disappointed with us; If we accept, without question, leaders who are not good role models, it will send a negative message to the people, especially to children who look up to leaders as role models in that our party accepts and condones such corruption notwithstanding our wholesome and respectable culture. This is a direct affronts to the system of democracy. This will cause the party to be rejected by the people.

As Wanita MCA National Chairman, I am unable to bring myself to accept what has crystallized in the party, as it contradicts the principles and values of Wanita MCA. At the same time, if I were to keep silent under such circumstance when the party’s culture and values have been eroded, and do not take any action towards safeguarding these core values, I would feel much shame, given the high hopes my Wanita MCA sisters who firmly uphold these principles, placed upon me. It would also leave Wanita MCA in an undesirable state where it could be questioned and criticized. As such, I am duty-bound, and willing to relinquish my political power and official government positions. I would like to convey to the people, that our party, especially Wanita MCA, in regards to family ethics, healthy culture, values, integrity and credibility will always have the uncompromising spirit in safeguarding women’s rights and interests.

In view of this, I officially announce that I will resign from the following 3 positions: as the Wanita MCA National Chairman, Wanita MCA Selangor Chairman and Chief of Crisis Relief Squad of MCA.

Given my position as Wanita MCA National Chairman, I was appointed a senator as well as a Deputy Minister. As such, upon resignation from the above-mentioned party positions, I will also submit my resignation as a Senator and the Deputy Minister of Women, Family and Community Development to the President of the Upper House and the Prime Minister’s office, respectively. The official resignation letters will be submitted tomorrow. From tomorrow onwards, I will be on leave until 28 April 2010 and so my resignation will take effect on 29 April 2010, or subject to a Cabinet re-shuffle, whichever date is earlier.

I thank the honourable Prime Minister YAB Dato’ Seri Najib, former and current MCA leaders, my sisters in Wanita MCA, Minister YB Dato’ Seri Shahrizat, the Chinese associations, NGOs and MCA members who have trusted and supported me in the past. I hope all of you will respect my decision, and I hope that those who share my beliefs and ideals will be able to calmly accept this decision which I have no choice but to make in order to safeguard those core values which we uphold. I am not quitting the party because I still believe in the party’s founding missions and goals. Therefore, after my resignation from the above party official positions, I will continue to serve the party without compromising my principles and within my capacity.

Although the democratic voting system may not reflect the will of the majority, the decision must still be respected and upheld. As such, I appeal to the democratically elected Wanita MCA National leaders and Wanita Selangor leaders to stay in your positions. Upon my resignation, the vacancies shall be filled as soon as possible in accordance with the party constitution. The process of filling these vacancies shall be consistent with Wanita MCA’s overaching principles, established goals, and our indomitable spirit to serve our country and our people.

Chew Mei Fun
8 April 2010

No comments: