Sunday, July 21, 2019

Press statement by Chew Mei Fun on resigning to pursue further studies



First of all, I must thank MCA President Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong for his trust and confidence in appointing me as MCA Secretary-General, and for his full support and authorisation thereafter, which had enabled me to embark on various party rebuilding projects for the past eight months, including drafting the  ‘A New Era, A Renaissance: MCA Execution Blueprint (2018-2021)’ based on the President’s election manifesto, and went on to launch many programmes under the blueprint; For instance, the MCA Government Affairs Monitoring Committee, upgrading of MCA Resource Centre, Oral History Project to recover the missing pieces of a puzzle of the party’s history, nationwide meet-the-grassroots roadshow, drafting of BN New Charter proposal, leading or assisting in by-elections, helping the party in handling crises, and participating in the transformation works of various departments in the party.

Nevertheless, as many have already known, my decision to pursue further studies abroad was made before the appointment. I had an agreement with the President that I would only assume the post of Secretary-General up until before my departure overseas. As the new semester will begin very soon in September, I had to officially tender my resignation with a heavy heart during the Central Committee (CC) meeting on 13 July 2019. It was accepted and will be effective on 20 July 2019.

Rebuilding MCA is tough and time consuming. Even though I am no longer able to work hand-in-hand with my fellow comrades to see through the various projects underway, the procedural guidelines I had put in place will come in handy. I am confident that any comrades entrusted with various tasks will be able to get the job done, guided by the Blueprint directions and operational framework, with adjustment and improvement every now and then when the need arises.

I would like to thank the President for his understanding, and for his upholding of freedom of speech within the party that even though we differed in views and stands occasionally, his trust remained for me to continue executing the decisions made by the CC professionally. 

I must also thank the CC, my fellow comrades and all staff for your patience with my insistent and uncompromising work style to rush through many important and critical programmes in this short span of a few months. I enjoyed my tenure as the Secretary-General and am thankful for this great opportunity to be entrusted with such a very important post, which had enabled me to assist the President, and to introduce and implement transformation programmes to the party and I desire, leaving no regrets in my political life.

If we look around, ruling without commanding a two-thirds majority and or a two-party system are the norm around the world. On a positive note, the change of government was an unavoidable process for Malaysia as a democratic nation. This has provided the opportunity for political parties on both sides of the divide to think from the opposite perspectives, to review and to reform. It has also made MCA learn how to play the role as a force of check and balance as an opposition party, as the foundation to re-emerge as a ruling party in future. Therefore, I hope my fellow comrades will not be disheartened by this temporary setback, but will continue serving diligently in politics as this is the most righteous attitude and key for our renaissance.   

To serve the nation and community is my lifelong commitment. I am lucky to have the opportunity to realise this through politics all these years, and am looking forward to serving through academia in my later years.

Lastly, I would like to thank my fellow comrades and all people, who have provided me with guidance, assistance, monitoring and even criticism in the past, for you have given me, in different ways and at different times, the energy so essential for me to march on. Thank you.

Long live MCA!
Long live Malaysia!


Chew Mei Fun
20 July 2019

No comments: